Supervisor Vega addressed the Lake Jackson Lions Club at their virtual meeting on May 17th. She provided the active club with a general update on county government which included recently passed county budget and the Independent Hill Small Area Plan.
The stated purposes of Lions Clubs International are:
- To Organize, charter and supervise service clubs to be known as Lions clubs.
- To Coordinatethe activities and standardize the administration of Lions clubs.
- To Createand foster a spirit of understanding among the peoples of the world.
- To Promotethe principles of good government and good citizenship.
- To Takean active interest in the civic, cultural, social and moral welfare of the community.
- To Unitethe clubs in the bonds of friendship, good fellowship and mutual understanding.
- To Providea forum for the open discussion of all matters of public interest; provided, however, that partisan politics and sectarian religion shall not be debated by club members.
- To Encourageservice-minded people to serve their community without personal financial reward, and to encourage efficiency and promote high ethical standards in commerce, industry, professions, public works and private endeavors.
The LIONS acronym also stands for Liberty, Intelligence, Our Nations’ Safety.
Special thanks to Sandra Jeckell and the Lake Jackson/Mid-County Lions Club for the invite!
– Coles District Staff